Possibly the most thoughtful and luxurious soap you will ever use!
We sourced this gorgeous handmade soap from the magical land of Midlands, South Africa and had family bring it over on their visit to Hong Kong to add an additional element of sustainability!
So what's so amazing about this soap? Here's all you need to know...
• Made from scratch using the traditional cold-processing method, this is a 48 hour process where no external heat is used and the natural, healing properties of the ingredients are preserved.
• Made on a beautiful farm in the rolling green hills of the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, South Africa, they use as much locally grown and sourced materials as possible, including some plant extracts which they grow themselves
• No preservatives, artificial colours or petrochemical-based fragrance oils are used, only essential oils are used for scent
• Palm Oil vs Free-Range Tallow: Supporting holistic, organic farming methods that help to conserve the natural biodiversity of an area is very important to Rondavel Soaps. This is the main reason they do not use palm or palm kernel oil in any of their products. Palm oil plantations in Indonesia, Malaysia and West Africa destroy rainforest habitats and the animals and people they support. As an alternative to palm oil, they use sustainable beef tallow. This is rendered kidney fat from beef cattle that are raised on a holistic farm that is environmentally and ethically sound, in a remote area of the North-West province of South Africa. The cattle are entirely free range on natural veld (shrubs, trees and grasses), and no pasture is grown for them. No pesticides or herbicides are used, including no tick dipping. They live together in stress-free family herds, at a density that is low enough to maintain veld condition, and have constant access to drinking water. No hormones or routine antibiotics are used, only a mineral salt lick is provided. The tallow is a byproduct of the meat production, and we believe follows the ethos of using the whole animal, and using local resources, rather than importing ingredients with a large carbon footprint. This high quality tallow produces an incredible bar of soap, with creamy stable lather, hardness and no known allergies.
• KAROO LAVENDER & HONEYBUSH: In the dry land of the Little Karoo, a small patch of lilac lavender flowers defiantly bloom in the January heat. This is no Olde English Cottage lavender – our Karoo Lavender brings the scent of sweet dry earth and the promise of rain. Indigenous Honeybush plants, with their brilliant yellow flowers favoured by bumblebees, grow in the higher hills of the Tsitsikamma range and, with South African olive oil, infuse this soap with soothing properties.
INGREDIENTS: Veld-raised beef tallow, organic Cyclopia genestoides (Honeybush) infused spring water, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, cold-pressed olive oil. Essential oils of: Lavandin abrialis, Cedrelopsis sp./ Cedrus atlantica, Styrax benzoin tincture.
• BAOBAG & AFRICAN BLUEGRASS: This soap is our tribute to the mightiest tree of Africa – the Baobab. We use cold-pressed and wild-harvested (there aren’t any hundred year old Baobab plantations!) Baobab seed oil and fruit powder in this unique soap. Baobabs provide shelter, shade and food to people and animals in Africa, where the fruit is often eaten as a staple food, but elsewhere in the world it is considered a SuperFruit. We scent this soap with wild-crafted African Bluegrass essential oil, which carries the warm smell of thatching grass in Autumn. Ground seeds from African Sorghum grass are added for gentle exfoliation.
INGREDIENTS: Veld-raised beef tallow, spring water, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, cold-pressed macadamia nut oil, cold-pressed Adansonia digitata (Baobab) seed oil and fruit powder. Sorghum powder. Essential oils of: Cymbopogon validus, C. citratus, C. martini, Citrus paradisi, Cedreolopsis/Cedrus atlantica, Zingiber officinale, Coriandrum sativum.
• MILK & HONEY WITH GERANIUM: The combination of fresh local goats’ milk and raw honey from the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, and powdered oats, produce a wonderfully mild and moisturising soap, with a creamy lather that is especially good for soothing itchy, irritated skin. The sweet floral scent of Rose Geranium and woody Cedar essential oils are calming and uplifting. A favourite baby soap, and especially popular in Winter.
INGREDIENTS: Veld-raised beef tallow, goats’ milk, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, cold-pressed macadamia nut oil. Raw honey. Essential oils of: Pelargonium graveolens, Cedrus atlantica, Styrax benzoin tincture. Powdered oats.
• CAPE CHAMOMILE & GERANIUM: This soap celebrates the unique Fynbos floral Kingdom of the Western Cape. Scented with a captivating blend of indigenous aromatic plants that have been used since the time of the San. Grown organically in the wilds of the Cederberg, these Fynbos essential oils give a relaxing, calming fragrance to this soap that only the wilderness can bring.
INGREDIENTS: Veld-raised beef tallow, spring water, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, cold-pressed Macadamia nut oil. Essential oils of: Eriocephalus punctulatus, Pelargonium odorantissumum, Cymbopogon martini, Lavendin abrialis, Citrus sinensis, C. paradisi, Agathosma betulina, Ocimum basilicum, Mentha piperita. Azadirachta indica(Neem) leaf powder.
• LEMONGRASS & CHARCOAL: Stimulating Lemongrass essential oil combined with swirls of activated charcoal make this soap one of our most popular. Maybe what our fans don’t know is that it is the underlying hints of Peppermint and Palmarosa that make this Lemongrass soap irresistible!
INGREDIENTS: Veld-raised beef tallow, spring water, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, cold-pressed Macadamia nut oil. Essential oils of: cymbopogon citrates, c. martini, menthe piperita