Plastic Free July has grown from a handful of participants in Western Australia in 2011, to millions of participants across more than 150 countries worldwide today. This incredible transformation has led them to become an independent, not-for-profit charitable foundation and their vision is a world without plastic waste. By encouraging people to be more aware of their plastic use, and supporting behaviour change during the month of July every year, hopefully this dream will become more of a reality.It might seem overwhelming to think of living 100% plastic free, but any small change you can make matters. Read below to see 5 easy changes everyone can make without any stress!
1. CLEANING: Make your own household cleaners in a glass spray bottle. These highly durable, refillable 16 oz glass spray bottles make it easy to replace wasteful store-bought chemical cleaners with all-natural, non-toxic homemade cleaners you make at home.
Simply choose a recipe, add ingredients to the fill lines on the bottle, shake, and you're ready to clean!
2. KITCHEN: Replace your disposable plastic zip lock bags with silicone storage bags. Long-lasting, useful and so versatile, you'll never need to visit the zip-lock aisle in the grocery store again. And think about all of that plastic saved from the landfill!
3. EATING: Bring along a reusable bamboo cutlery set for food on the go. How about a bamboo utensil set to round out the perfect toolkit for life on the go? A handy carabiner on the back lets you clip and carry a fork, knife, spoon and chopsticks wherever you may roam. Perfect for a busy lifestyle and our precious planet.
4. BAGS: Always carry a reusable bag with you while you're out and about. This tote is my new favorite PFHK product! It is so versatile and can carry lots of weight, and of course eliminates the need for disposable plastic bags. From the grocery to the beach, I always find I'm reaching for it while I'm out and about.
5. BATHROOM: Stainless steel safety razor instead of plastic, disposable one. Over 2 billion disposable plastic razors are thrown out each year in the U.S. alone. That's enough to wrap around the Earth end-to-end 6 times! Let's return to the good old days of safety razors and eliminate the need for this type of plastic waste.